A COLLABORATIVE EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE FOR CHILDREN IN LEWIS COUNTY
Opening Spring 2023
What is the United Learning Center?
The United Learning Center (ULC) will facilitate the comprehensive education of our community's youth through the founding entities' combined skills, resources, and connections. The ULC will be comprised of a high-quality, affordable early learning program for working families, an after-school mentorship program and summer engagement opportunities through the Boys & Girls Club of Lewis County, and the Discover! Children's Museum, which will ignite the love of learning in children of all ages.
Why is the United Learning Center vital to our community?
In Lewis County, only approximately 25% of children under five years of age have the opportunity to participate in a quality child care program; lack of child care centers playing a large part in this. Center numbers are on the decline, leaving families and children unable to access programs that promote child success.
Parents of infants and young children all across Washington struggle to find and afford high-quality, licensed child care, often paying more for child care than the cost of college tuition.
- To provide a collaborative educational experience for children ages 3 to 18 years old, including a quality early learning center for 80 kids, a state-of-the-art children's museum, and an after school mentorship program.
- To create an affordable childcare option for families in Lewis County, proving a high-quality, no cost day care with wraparound services for families.
- To help children achieve Kindergarten readiness.
- To build economic opportunities for our County through job creation and high-quality, affordable programming.
Project Funding (to-date)
- Washington State Dept. of Commerce funding - $3 million
- Discover! Children's Museum Dept. of Commerce funding - $1 million
- City of Centralia REET funds - $1.9 million
- TransAlta Coal Transition Board grant - $1 million
Site selection - the home of the United Learning Center will be on the corner of Pearl and Maple Streets in Centralia. (across from the Chronicle)
Project Partners - City of Centralia, United Way of Lewis County, Discover! Children's Museum, Boys & Girls Club
Capital Budget Funding - $3 million awarded from last legislative session for the construction of the United Learning Center
City of Centralia - approved $1.9 million in REET funds to help construct the United Learning Center
Design / Site Plans - currently working with KMB Architects on building design/site plans
Early Learning Program Development - contracting with Capital Region ESD 113 and SJN Consulting to design an affordable, full day early learning program that will serve children two to five years old.
Ground Breaking Ceremony - June 8, 2021 (415 N Pearl St., Centralia)
Building design selection - July-September, 2021
Early Learning Center lease signed by future tenant - September 2021
Construction Timeline (estimate) - March 2022 - March 2023
CLICK HERE to download the United Learning Center brochure.
Make a donation to the United Learning Center and impact families now and in the future!
With your support, local kids will have access to a high-quality, unique learning environment that will build a strong foundation for success in school and in life.